Thursday, June 07, 2012

Euro 2012 Menu

As most of you know, I love to make international sport events into culinary events.  It's nice to give your menu meaning and it makes menu planning a little more interesting.  Food and sports.... yeah, pretty much my happy place.  Join me.

I love international Football (or soccer to us North Americans) and Euro 2012 should be a be a blast.  I was just starting to go into sports withdrawal as the NHL playoffs wind down and we're a ways away from the start of NFL, EPL, Bundesliga, Serie A,.... well you get the idea...  There is that Olympics thingy happening later this summer.  Thanks Goddess!

Okay here's the menu for the 12 day group round.  I'll link the recipes as I make them so you can check back to this page and get to whatever info you want.  Since there are 2 games a day I added 'simple' to the theme of this menu!  The meal matches one of the teams playing that day.  I know, I'm a little kitchy...

Euro 2012 Group Round Menu
  1. Poland (since it's one of the hosts, might as well start with Polish cuisine!) - Kielbasa, Perogies and Greens.  No recipes, just saute diced kielbasa with perogies and toss in some greens.  Done
  2. Germany - Wiener Schnitzel and Potato Salad
  3. Spain - Spanish Omelet/Tortilla
  4. England - Chicken Tikka Masala
  5. Greece - Greek Burgers and Salad
  6. Denmark - Smorrebrod (open faced sandwich)
  7. Italy - Pizza (frozen or take out - everyone needs a day off...)
  8. Sweden - Toast Skagan (Shrimp on toast and one of my faves!!) I've claimed this dish to be Danish for the FIFA 2010 World Cup but it's on most menu's in Sweden...
  9. Russia - Shashlyk (kebabs) and Turnip
  10. Croatia - Brodet (Braised Fish on Polenta)
  11. Ireland - Corned Beef Sandwiches and Coleslaw (Summer version of Corned Beef and Cabbage!)
  12. France - Crepes with whatever veggie is freshest at the market and some nice cheese
There is also this Croatian dish of Swiss Chard called Blitva that I might try one of these nights.  I'll keep you posted...

As per usual - when Canada is not involved I cheer for Sweden.  Sverge, Sverge, Sverge!

No comments: